AVOP Material

Booking an Appointment

Due to COVID-19, all appointments scheduled between March 16th and August 17th 2020 have been cancelled, and we recognize the disruption this may have had to your organziation. We recognize this, and are making all reasonable efforts to implement a revised AVOP testing protocol since Premier Ford has annouced our Ontario Region's entry into Stage 3 of their COVID19 reopening plan on July 17th 2020. 


UPDATE: JULY 28th 2020

The TBIAAI has been actively working on developing revised AVOP testing protocols. Details will be provided on this website on the August 11th 2020, at which point we will begin accepting appointments on the date listed below. Public health and safety will remain the number one priority.


We will commence with AVOP testing effective Tuesday August 18th 2020. 



August 18th AVOP Test Opening: COVID19 Protection Requirements

Details to be provided on this website August 11th 2020. 



Any person operating a vehicle on the airside of the airport must possess a valid AVOP issued by TBIAAI. No other airport's AVOP is valid at the Thunder Bay Airport. The pre-requisites for an AVOP are:

  • A valid driver's license to operate a vehicle in the Province of Ontario
  • A RAIC or temporary pass (while waiting for your RAIC)


Your employer must provide justification on your application for you to obtain an AVOP. The application must be signed by both you and your employer. Your employer is responsible to ensure that you are properly trained for driving on airside.

The AVOP Application form is available by clickong the link below:

Print the form and complete it as required. A signature from your company's Signing Authority is required to authorize the application process.

Once completed you must email the application form to the AVOP Office in advance of scheduling your appointment. The AVOP Administration CYQT email is avop@tbairport.on.ca.

An AVOP is considered to be revoked when your employment terminates at the Thunder Bay Airport. If you change employers or work for more than one employer, each employer must complete an AVOP application for you. For persons with multiple employers, only one AVOP will be issued, but any other application will be kept on file to provide justification for your need to operate a vehicle on airside.


Before you are issued your AVOP, you must pass both a written and practical test. A passing grade is considered 95% and involves answering both multiple choice questions and some fill in the blank questions.

When the written test is successfully completed you will be eligible to proceed to the practical driving test. You may laternatively choose to book a reservation for a driving test at a future date within 30 days of passing the written test. A driving test will be conducted:

  • The D/A AVOP permits the driver to operate a vehicle within apron areas only. A driving test will be conducted during the daytime hours. You will be expected to demonstrate a competent ability to operate a vehicle within the area you are allowed to operate based on your job function.
  • The D AVOP permits the driver to operate a vehicle within the entire airfield, including runways, taxiways, and aprons. A driving test will be conducted during daytime or nighttime hours. The D AVOP driving test will also include radio procedures - refer to the ROC-A section below.

Study Packages

The following material shall be utilized to prepare the applicant to successfully pass a written and practical AVOP test. This material also provides AVOP holders with the knowledge required to safely and competently operate a vehicle within the approved areas. 

Radio Operator Certificate - Aeronautical (ROC-A) Requirement

In addition to the standard requirements, a radiotelephone operator restricted certificate is required before one may acquire a D AVOP. The federal government, through the Department of Industry, issues the certificate. Contact the TBIAAI for more information how how you may schedule your certification tests through our AVOP office.

Study guide: Study Guide for the Restricted Operator Certificate with Aeronautical Qualification

For more information please visit: http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/015.nsf/eng/home